Darwen, or Over Darwen, as it was called until 1879 was a Municipal Borough until 1974 when it joined into a new Authority with its neighbour, Blackburn.
Darwen Market Hall and the Municipal Offices are housed within a Victorian building. The Market Hall was opened in 1882.
Prior to Local Government Reorganisation in 1974, Darwen Council had programmed for the building of a new 3 Day Market. The modern era of shopping in a covered area had arrived.
In 1975 the final stages were completed. The majority of the food traders from the Open Market moved into a new Annexe which was to be open on more days.
The 3 Day Market food traders who still only wanted to trade on the Market Days and the Drapery and Manufactured Goods traders were to be housed in a new hexagonal building which opened in October 1975. The modernisation of the Town Hall saw the demise of the Arcade – known as “the glass shed”.