Railway Road Historic Railings Restored and Reinstated Darwen’s iconic Railings, thought to be around 100 years old, situated on Railway Road were removed several months ago and have been safety checked, carefully restored and are currently being reinstalled. Some of the railings have not stood up to the test of time, and therefore were not…
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council is investing £1.5million in creating a fantastic new public space in the heart of Darwen: Darwen Market Square.
Through consultation, the square has been designed for large scale events, socialising, relaxing, reflection and potentially even retail, with the people who live and work in Darwen as well its many visitors in mind. A key focus has been on creating a balance between a future looking, contemporary, fit for purpose space whilst observing and preserving the attractive natural and historical features within and around the site.
Once complete you can expect to see;
- A large open space to cater for community and large scale events
- A green garden area to meet with friends, for children to play or enjoy the sunshine whilst eating your lunch
- Seating areas where you can relax whilst appreciating the high quality craftsmanship of the artwork within the site
- The potential for a retail offer
- Stunning views from Railway Road across Darwen to the its green surroundings
Darwen Market Square development began at the end of May 2018. During the works there will inevitably be some disruption, this will be kept to a minimum and information will be published on this website to keep people informed.