To celebrate work to the new £1.5m Darwen Market Square being officially completed Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council released this new video on The Weavers Bird! It tells the tale behind the sculpture of the peregrine falcon which sits proudly as the centrepiece of the new market square. Watch the story now of Darwen’s Weaver Bird!…
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council invested £1.5million in creating a fantastic new public space in the heart of Darwen: Darwen Market Square.
Through consultation, the square has been designed for large scale events, socialising, relaxing, reflection and potentially even retail, with the people who live and work in Darwen as well its many visitors in mind. A key focus has been on creating a balance between a future looking, contemporary, fit for purpose space whilst observing and preserving the attractive natural and historical features within and around the site.
The new space has;
- A large open space to cater for community and large scale events
- A green garden area to meet with friends, for children to play or enjoy the sunshine whilst eating your lunch
- Seating areas where you can relax whilst appreciating the high quality craftsmanship of the artwork within the site
- The potential for a retail offer
- Stunning views from Railway Road across Darwen to the its green surroundings
Darwen Market Square development began at the end of May 2018 and completed in Spring 2019 with an official launch party. A central piece of artwork was created and named The Weavers Bird. Watch the story behind its creation here.